• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Full time or side business owners, come in side

Cluepon

I do consulting work from home on the side, and it brings in money now and then. I'd like to grow it so I have more steady work and eventually go full time with it. My problem is since I do this in the evenings and weeks, I can't prospect for new business on the phone or via email during the day --- so I'm relying 100% on word of mouth for new clients.

I am not in a position where I can take any time during work like breaks to call anyone. I don't want to tip my hand to anyone that I am trying to build a business.

Those of you who do side work now, or transitioned from side work to a full time business, how did you grow it?

This is actually a really good question. I have a friend who transitioned from a 9 to 5 job to working part time, to eventually working full time at home. She started by doing scheduling for a company and eventually started a blog of everything she learned. I will have to get the link from her. She makes around $2500 a month from her blog and the other things she does online.

I own a small online business that started from Etsy. I sell accessories pretty much. It is still growing. I am only making about 10 sales a month on average but it is getting there. I don't really know the process of doing your own business, I am just winging it and learning as I go.

If the issue is you don't want to send emails during non-work hours....

If you use Gmail you can schedule when your email is sent. Same thing with Outlook. Probably others to.

For phone calls, add a Google Voice number to your smart phone for free, and use it as your business phone number. Make sure you have a very good voice mail message. For anyone not in your time zone, they probably eat lunch during a different time for you. Leave your workplace during lunch even if you bring lunch with you, and handle those calls then. If someone suggests going to lunch with you, have a planned response telling them you have errands to handle during lunch.

For those in your time zone, I don't have any easy answers for calling them. If possible, use your smart phone to email them as soon as you can so it doesn't show up on your employer's Internet radar.

Also, if your job has flex time, consider going to work an hour sooner or later than normal business hours. That way you can have an hour during business hours to handle calls and emails.

Hi, all! I'm new here, and this is my first post.

I worked as an in-house subject matter expert until June 2018. I quit and started freelancing as an academic editor. The first three months were tough. I got paid only every 40 days, and I was close to exhausting my savings. Now I make 2000+ USD per month (although payment schedules are not always uniform). I am also getting an advance certification to increase my worth.

Few things that helped me:
1. Joining active, industry-specific forums (one can find tips and even remote work opps sometimes)
2. Getting certified/accredited
3. Participating in academic editing conferences and workshops -- great way, it turned out, to find clients and opps.

Although these are specific to the editing industry, I do believe they'll be beneficial to just about anybody.

All the best!

PS: Nice meeting you all! :)

PPS: Just noticed after posting that the thread is quite old; hope that's alright.

Last edited:
Hi, guys!

How're you all doing and dealing with the pandemic? There's been very little action on the forum as far as I'm able to see.

As for me, I've taken quite a bad hit. There is no more steady supply of editing assignments. Payment, which was already not always on time, has gotten more erratic. So I thought I might log in to see what other folks are doing, and I was surprised at the lack of action here. So I hope all's good.

I actually also logged in for some help. I've been approached to co-edit a title on "limits of multivariable functions," which is not my subject at all. My co-editor also has a background in the Humanities, and the title is quite difficult for us. We're able to edit it for copy, but understandably finding 101-level reading to understand the matter at a basic level has proven problematic. We're currently relying on simple online resources aimed at the high school and college population for this. Does anyone know where we can find similar resources--free ones, especially? We'd appreciate actionable suggestions. Also, if you know other forums where I can post this query, please let me know.

Thanks! Hope you all stay safe and healthy!

Back