• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Vacation homes that are cheap?

Lisa

I know most cheaper hotels will not cost that much but what about vacation homes or homes that people rent out to people who need to stay just 2 or 3 weeks? I want to go out of state this summer to help a friend but I would much rather pay for my own space. I don't want to be living in a hotel either. Anyone ever do something like this? Where can I find them?

Maybe instead of renting out the entire home use Airbnb to rent part of a house? Most of them separate the rental space from their own living space, so you get some privacy but at a lower cost. Airbnb also has more listings.

I like what Happy Camper said. If you rent an entire house, it is not going to be cheap no matter where you stay. You are expecting to pay around $500 per week, if not more.

Maybe instead of renting out the entire home use Airbnb to rent part of a house? Most of them separate the rental space from their own living space, so you get some privacy but at a lower cost. Airbnb also has more listings.

Great suggestion! I didn't even think of this. I am going to look into prices tomorrow tonight. Thank you!

Is there a place to check for stuff like this online? I always see motels and renting sites but I have such a hard time finding any B&B's aside from the bigger chain name ones.

I stayed at a VK home back in 2013. For just 10 days, it ended up being A LOT. We were told it would be $400 which was fine but because there was a group of us, they tacked on an extra $100 per person without even telling us until we were leaving.

A lot of pricing depends on how far out in advance you book. I would book at least 3 months in advance for anything in the summer. Any less and the choices start narrowing and most of the deals have been snapped up. $400 for 10 days is actually a great price! I just booked a condo for a week and the best I could find was $139/day, and that was on the low end of the price range. Most in the area were $169 per day and higher! what I booked was still very nice, but much smaller which I'm okay with I really don't need much space when on vacation.

$400 is a food deal. I was going to say that as well but $100 per extra person? How many people were there? I would imagine it ended up being $800+

Back