• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Using a gift card in place of a credit/bank card?

Clipper

Someone I work with mentioned that she started doing this to help her budget her spending easier. She preloads gift cards for specific stores or uses those visa ones and then uses them to shop. This way she can't go over her spending budget and she won't go in the red on her bank account. Anyone else do this? I always thought that gift cards charge you to use them??

Yeah if you don't keep a lot on the card, this is a good idea I think. I have done it before but never long term. I find that I do worse at budgeting because I get careless. I know I can't overdraft to I spend more in a pinch.

I have done something like this before and it worked out well for me but I wanted to learn to manage my money without a crutch so I stopped. That is just my preference though.

I may give this a try. I have been looking for a way to balance out my money. I can get cards for specific stores too so I can't spend the money elsewhere.

The way I am with cards, I would likely just lose the thing. It is not worth me even trying this honestly. Good idea though!

I am the same way. I have lost giftcards that were given to me as gifts before. I am not sure how I manage to do it. lol

Back