• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Ugly veggies save money

Cluepon

A few miles down the road there's an older woman who sells vegetables she grows in a huge garden she has. The prices are better than the grocery store and the quality much better. I worked out a deal where I can buy at even lower prices from her. I buy bruised veggies from her at 25 cents on the dollar. It doesn't make them taste any worse, and it's just from the handling of them. She told me she has a hard time selling them before they go bad, so we both win with this arrangement.

Beef is another one. Wait until it's marked down because it expires that day or the next. People pay big bucks for aged steaks at resterruants. They actually taste better closer to the expiration date. So much so that if I buy steaks that aren't on clearance, I put them in the refrigurator for several days! They also become more tender. If you can't eat a steak you buy on sale that day or the next, just throw it in the freezer and thaw it out when you're ready.

I buy lots of stuff on clearance because its about to expire. Most things you can eat well after the date, its not that its gone bad its that its "best by" the date. Never thought of the ugle veggie thing at a veggie stand, that's clever.

Back