• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

The financial drag of large dogs

Poor Me

Unless you need it for home protection I don't see the reason for getting a large dog when a smaller one can give you the same companionship, loyalty and love. A friend of mine has a huge dog that eats as much in a week as mine eats in a month. I estimate he's paying a couple thousand per year in food, chew toys it goes through, and so on. Animals can be costly and I don't think many people stop to consider this before getting one.

I'll keep my small dog! They live longer too.

I have a semi-lap sizes dog. Big enough to actually be a dog instead of a toy like a poodle or weenie dog, but not so big that it eats like a horse!

Purebred dogs, while nice to have, tend to have more health problems than mutts. Its due to less genetic diversity. So consider a rescue dog from the pound. Not only are you saving a dog's life, but it will cost you less in the long run too.

Back