• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Saving, paying down debt and retirement is a state of mind

Starting Out

Sometimes I get down when I pass up on buying something because I need to save money and pay debt. Or when I don't get more expensive foods, scale back vacation, work extra hours or whatever.

It seems in those times my frame of mind is that I am depriving myself. What I do to get out of those funks is to remind myself that in the long term I am not depriving myself, but instead I'm rewarding myself! The reward is FREEDOM! Freedom from worrying about debt, about whether I can retire, how I will handle emergencies like a major car repair.

When a person has their finances in order big challenges turn into minor problems which can be solved by writing a check. You don't have to worry about being that old man or woman working as a Walmart greeter to make ends meet. Like Dave Ramsey says "If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else."

Its so true! Every time you save count it as a win. If feeling deprived gets me down too much, I'll treat myself to something that's not too expensive without hurting my budget. I have a little bit of mad money setup in my budget for this.

Back