• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Raising credit score without debt

Baby Steps

I know I can raise my credit score by taking on debt and paying it off on schedule. The thing is I'm trying to avoid debt like the plague. What are some good ways to increase my credit score without debt?

Before anyone mentions it, yes I know your credit score is there so you can have debt! But I'm thinking along the lines of two things: the only debt I am willing to take on is a mortgage in a couple of years, and I'm moving up the ladder at my job and one of the positions I'm considering requesting a transfer to requires a background check that includes credit since it involved handling company funds.

If you're currently paying rent ask your landlord to report your payment history. Payment history with cell phones, internet, landlines and tv service should be reported as well. Same with electrical power, water and gas.

Its really not taking on debt since you're borrowing your own money, maybe considered a secured credit card with a low maximum. Perhaps $500.

Get added as an authorized user to your parents credit card accounts if that's an option. To keep you out of temptation, make sure they don't give you the cards.

Back