• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Pet Insurance?

Clipper

Anyone have pet insurance?

I am looking into it for my mother. Her dog recently had to be put on expensive medication and she is having trouble paying for it. I thought that if she had pet insurance it would be at least half the cost though I have no experience with this. Anyone know?

I don't think most, if any, policies cover pre-existing conditions, sort of like you don't expect a car insurance to cover an accident from before you signed up with them.

Your best bet might be to shop online for pet prescription fills as they tend to be a LOT cheaper than what the vet charges, at least in my experience they are. Also, shop around different veternarians to find what their rates are. Like dentists, most people don't use insurance with them so they tend to compete against each other a lot more and prices can vary greatly.

If I am not mistaken, you need to get this through someone who offers home, rental, and auto insurance and you have to pay upfront with a monthly charge.

The only way I know to save is what was mentioned about and that is getting any medication online. I guess pet insurance is great but you really can't get covered if you pet is sick beforehand.

Thanks guys. I had thought this was like human insurance where you get it and it kicks in to help cut costs. Shame they don't have a better alternative for people who need help.

Back