• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Florida hurricane Irma

CarlieT

I am watching the news right now, and a few minutes ago one of the government officials in Florida said about 40% of homeowners in flood areas do not have flood insurance.

Why would anyone have a home in flood areas, especially in Florida, without flood insurance?

A lot of people don't want to pay for it. Flood insurance is said to be WAY more expensive than standard home insurance when it comes to being on the coast of the ocean. If I was a home owner, knowing storms can hit at any point like this, I would pay the cost. I can't imagine how many people are left with no one to turn to do to flood damages.

A cousin of mine who lives in Florida and rents said that most people he knows don't have proper insurance. He has renters insurance and while his rental unit did take on water damage, his unit was okay aside from a broken window. I guess it wasn't boarded up well enough.

A lot of people don't want to pay for it. Flood insurance is said to be WAY more expensive than standard home insurance when it comes to being on the coast of the ocean. If I was a home owner, knowing storms can hit at any point like this, I would pay the cost. I can't imagine how many people are left with no one to turn to do to flood damages.

People are like this for a lot of insurances. They get the cheapest possible and then when something happens, they are stuck with a HUGE bill.

Back