• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Family on one insurance?

Dana

My friends brother and his daughter our on his mother's insurance. If that didn't make sense...
Mom has insurance. Son is on her insurance. Daughter of son is on insurance too.

Since when was this a thing? He is 35 and his daughter is 17. I always though insurance was different. Oh! And this is auto insurance by the way. Is this legal?

You're allowed to add any one to your car policy, you just have to tell the insurance company about. They'll raise your rate based on the other person's driving history.

If you have a teenager when they reach driving age and get a license many insurance companies automatically add them to your policy unless you tell them not to. They assume the kid will drive your car and need to protect themselves against unpaid liability.

Yeah it is fine to do this with most companies. The problem with it though, like mentioned above, is that if anyone on that policy gets into an accident, everyone's rates will go up. So you have to be careful.

A lot of people do this to save money and as mentioned it is completely legal. I personally would not do it myself because I am too fussy about my scores and don't want anyone messing them up.

A lot of people do this to save money and as mentioned it is completely legal. I personally would not do it myself because I am too fussy about my scores and don't want anyone messing them up.

I am the same are you. I do not like taking risks. My kids wont be very happy when I tell them they can't drive till they are 18 and can get their own insurance but that is something I stick firm to.

Back