• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Does house insurance go up after a fire?

Dana

I know with cars, your rate tends to increase after an accident, what about houses?

A friend of mine recently had a fire in her house. Half the kitchen was roasted. It is a mess and while her insurance is paying to fix it, she is worried she will end up paying more next month because of it.

It can, yes. It depends on the fire, what caused it, and how you handled it.

Things home insurance reps expect is for you to have smoke detectors in the home and document everything that was damaged. You don't want to freak out about anything. Just be calm and honest about what happened.

Yeah it does for most people I think. I don't think they do it as a punishment but because fire repairs can be costly so as a precaution, they have to up your rates. I don't think they stay up though. They will eventually go back down.

Yeah it can go up. The only time they can't target you individually for a claim is when there's a disaster, but they are allowed to raise rates across the board in those areas since their risk has gone up.

Rate always go up after damages, think of a cat accident. It is how it works. It sucks but at least you still don't end up having to pay for the damage in full ya know?

Each year the insurer will assess you and your house as a risk, high or low.

As a result you get the premium.

In the UK we check claims in the last 5 years only.

If the fire happened last year that's the worst it's going to get.

The older the damage is the lower the premium until you are no longer a risk. Which is why people who claim a lot pay higher rates.

Or if yoy live in a high crime area you are a high risk so pay a high premium

Back