• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Do companies offer discounts for longstanding members?

Clever

I heard of Allstate doing this but I don't know anyone who has had them long enough to ask. I am debating on switching my company for auto insurance because the price seems to have went up even though I have not been into any kind of accident. I have also been with this same company for nearly 7 years too, no discounts.

For smaller businesses, certainly. They ought to be familiar personally with long time customers. For bigger businesses like was said it will depend on the company. Some of them empower employees to show customers some appreciation others don't. Amazon is this way. The longer you've been a customer the more slack they give you with returns, taking to long to return stuff, problems with orders and such.

As mentioned, local/small businesses that are generally family owned are more inclined to give bonuses. The larger agencies often charge less monthly but there are no benefits or bonuses.

The best way to retain customers is to build a relationship for them to show you loyalty and trust.

This will not be done by a call centre or digital company.

A local broker or business with branches to visit face to face will be more likely offer a discount at renewal but usually not up front and only if asked.

They will rarely have a scheme for everyone as it's a risk of spending for the sake of it.

The ones who may do it are those who have a good software system to recognise long standing customers to differentiate them from 1st year renewals.

In the UK this kind of business is on the wain. There are currently only 200 branches of insurance brokers left in the UK because of customer buying habits online.

The call centre nearly killed the branch business but not quite. People still like to talk face to face but it's no longer essential.

However, if customers buy something online they're responsible for reading terms and conditions which buying verbally or face to face covers in conversation.

They are more likely to ask their nagging questions.

Stick to a company with someone you can speak to and try to build a relationship with the same person if you can. Preferably the manager /owner.

Back