• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

DIY Deck ideas?

Clever

I want to build a deck for my pool. I originally was going to have one built for me by the pool place, but they wanted nearly $800! This is for a small deck too. A friend of mine said I can likely spend about $150-$200 and build it myself. I am not sure where to look for ideas but I would need to know how much material I need to get.

I would be very reluctant to do something like that myself unless I had more carpentry experience. If it were a very small project I'd give it a try, but not for a pool deck. I would say the decision depends totally on your comfort level working with wood.

Given the nature of decks and what they are used for, unless you know you can build something that can safely hold people, I would just hire someone. If you know what you are doing, then by all means go for it. I don't know of any ideas for you but you could probably google for some blueprints.

Have you checked on Youtube? Some people have how-to videos on there with everything listed in the description that you would need. I have watched some DIY gardening things on there before.

Most decks, even smaller ones, take a lot of work. You have to make sure they are put on a proper foundation, the wood is treated right, and everything you use is table to hold weight on every angle. I helped build a deck and it is a lot harder than it looks.

Don't build one. I thought I had enough experience to do this and tried a few years ago. It looked good but fell over, snapped, and broke within 2 weeks. I ended up taking the top off and just using that as a ground deck.

Back