• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Contesting estimate for car damage

I was driving through the Walmart parking lot earlier this week and a guy backed up into the passenger side door of my car. It was obviously his fault and he admitted to it. The adjuster from his insurance company came to where I work and gave me an estimate on Wednesday. I took the car took 3 places yesterday for my own estimates and they all came out higher. One place told me it could be done for the estimated amount but they'd have to cut corners.

Can I contest the estimate by showing them the three I got myself? Do they normally accept estimates you get yourself?

Yes contest it. Use the 3 estimates, look online for comparisons as well. Speak to a team leader or manager and say as a valued customer you feel it's worth more.

Don't suffer in silence. Speak to your broker or escalate it within the claims department to get the service you deserve.

I agree with winstonwolf. Contest it, most hope you simple take the money they offer. I gave my insurer 3 estimates after they gave me a low ball amount, and they then offered the average of the three estimates, which I accepted.

Back