• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Can lotto tickets be written off?

Clever

I just read that they can be but it was on a random blog article by a frugal woman I like to read. I have never heard of this before so I want to see if it is true. If so, I will start saving my tickets. I get spend like $20 a week on them just for fun though I know I really shouldn't. lol

Yes they can. I can't remember what it is called by my mother has been doing it for years. I don't play them enough to make it worth it. I maybe get a scratch off like 5 times a year.

They can be written off against winnings. So if you spent $500 in a year and won $600, and have receipts, your tax liability is for only the $100 gained.

I always thought you could write off anything you lost separate from your winnings. Like the winnings are always taxed and lumped in regardless of the amount, or am I wrong? Maybe this depends on the state?

I talked to someone online who does this and you can but you can't write off any wins. Those get taxed anyways when they are over $1000 I believe anyways.

I talked to someone online who does this and you can but you can't write off any wins. Those get taxed anyways when they are over $1000 I believe anyways.

I think in some states the minimum is $500. Anything over that gets taxed. I could be wrong. I will have to look into this.

Yeah that is what I was assuming. So the limit for not being taxed at all is $1000 if you win? I always though they can tax you on anything over $100. I don't gamble much to know otherwise. lol

I think in some states the minimum is $500. Anything over that gets taxed. I could be wrong. I will have to look into this.

I will look into this more. I never heard of it being different per state but that would make sense considering not all states have the same exact tax numbers and breakdowns.

Back