• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Beware of IRS scams

MarkT

A reminder to beware of IRS scams this time of year. If you receive a phone call from someone saying they are from the IRS and demanding payment its probably a scam. The IRS will first mail you a registered letter if there is a demand for payment, and there will be contact information on it if you need to call them.

Yeah this one is common every year. Another one is where people file a return using your information but have the refund sent to the scammer. That one can be a nightmare to straighten out with the IRS.

I have gotten several calls this year. A few claimed to be with the IRS, others were claiming to be with a credit company I had not been with since 2005. They must have pulled up very old information on me as they used my maiden name as well.

I had no idea this was a thing until my friend accidentally gave her bank details away. Luckily, her husband was quick to act on it and the bank closed down her account and opened up a new one. They had to report it because some scammers had her information.

Back