• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Article: How to Spot a Fake Online Review

Ken Payne

Administrator
Staff member
Even when they are verified buyers of the product the reviews can be fake. I've seen reviews on Amazon which were verified buyers where the buyer actually said "I was given this product in exchange for an honest review." Honest? Perhaps they think so but deep inside they know if they gave bad reviews it could be the end of their free product gravy train.

I've noticed this has become more common in recent years. It's playing dirty pool. If I spot those I won't do business with the company even if the real reviews are great.

Sometimes fake reviews not only fall into the patterns mentioned in the article, but gut feel can play a part in it. Where no one thing about the review rises to the level of being fake, but overall the review simply doesn't feel right.

I can't stand it when I spot a fake review. What's even worse is now there are fake "news" articles like this too. Nothing but an advertisement trying to pretend it's a news story or editorial. You'd think it would be illegal but that's hard to draw the line when it comes to free speech.

Back