• Welcome to the Crispy Money forums, a community of people who share their experience with investing, saving money, earning tips, avoiding scams and living life to it's fullest.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please register free by clicking here.

Air miles?

Poet

Does anyone know how these air millage perks work?

I have around 25,000 in air miles myself and I am not sure what that equates to. Does it depend on the airline and the card or what? I was trying to find something online and can't find a clear answer.

It depends on the airline, but most of the time its 25,000 miles for a free flight, but there are black out dates like Thanksgiving and Christmas. Personally I think the best use of them are for upgrading your coach seat to business class!

If it's through a card you can usually use them with any airline, but they have blackout dates and its sometimes hard to get the flight you want. If its through an airline directly you can fly with them or any of their miles partners. There are blackout dates but usually its easier to get flights, plus you can use the miles for access to their member lounges (waste of miles in my opinion) or to upgrade to first or business class.

Don't use airmiles unless it's really worth it. So, any short or cheap flight is not worth it. Just continue to save them up, and when you want to travel far or even out of the country, then use them.

It depends on the airline, but most of the time its 25,000 miles for a free flight, but there are black out dates like Thanksgiving and Christmas. Personally I think the best use of them are for upgrading your coach seat to business class!

Ah okay. I would imagine they don't allow them during the holidays because a lot of flights get overbooked to begin with?

If it's through a card you can usually use them with any airline, but they have blackout dates and its sometimes hard to get the flight you want. If its through an airline directly you can fly with them or any of their miles partners. There are blackout dates but usually its easier to get flights, plus you can use the miles for access to their member lounges (waste of miles in my opinion) or to upgrade to first or business class.

I read that I can use miles but they don't actually cover the cost of a flight if it is overseas. I am not sure why that is. I guess only domestic flights get covered in full. Do you know about this?

Don't use airmiles unless it's really worth it. So, any short or cheap flight is not worth it. Just continue to save them up, and when you want to travel far or even out of the country, then use them.

I always thought they were worth so much more but I guess I was mistake or they just changed since the 90's. I am so behind in the times lol

Back